The Colette Aster Take 1

In my mission to sew more more separates to make my wardrobe more suitable to everyday wear (aka – working from home friendly) I’ve been looking for a casual shirt pattern. I kept thinking about hacking a pattern to make exactly what I had in mind. I then stumbled across the Aster pattern from Colette. It had everything I wanted, easy casual look, options of sleeves, an inverted pleat in the back bodice. Why try and hack something when someone has already done all the hard work and designed what you had in your mind. So a PDF print and stick session later I was ready to start cutting and sewing.

The fabric I used was a piece I’d bought from Rosie (@Rosie-DIYcouture) during one of her de-stashes. I think its fabulous. Its got giraffes on, and I like to think they are kissing. Isn’t it just totally adorable?!


I cut a straight size 14 and didn’t make any alterations. I quite like the pattern, but I’m not mad about it. It’s a really great make, but there are times where I think it’s just unnecessarily complicated. For example, the Aster has a back yoke facing so all the seams are hidden, this is a nice touch if its a high-end posh piece of clothing, but this is a casual every day top, so I won’t be cutting and adding that piece again in future. It also has sleeve facings, which are interfaced across half of the piece. I’m not a neat interfacer, so the interfacing pulls and twists the sleeve bands, in future I’ll just hem the sleeves.


My other query is around the pleat in the back, I’ve made it an inverted pleat, but I’ve seen other bloggers do it both ways, inverted like mine, and a normal pleat. I’m not too sure about which way it should be. I think that I might make anther with the pleat the other way round and see what I prefer.

I founds the instructions a bit confusing in places. It is totally my fault that I have attached the binding incorrectly on the neck, but where the binding meets the neckline at the placket I couldn’t make head nor tail of what I was meant to do. I’ve done a bit of a botch job based on what I think I should have done, but it still doesn’t sit totally flat on my collarbone.


The instructions were the one thing I found really frustrating and confusing about this pattern. I like a challenge, but this took a lot of brain power to work out what I was meant to be doing.


The best bit about the top, and the one detail that I think will mean I make a fair few Asters, is the hem line. I love a shirt which has a longer hem at the back, and this pattern does this beautifully.


Overall for a casual top, it’s a fairly involved pattern, but a pattern I’ll get a lot of use out of. I’ll be making it simpler in future versions, and also shortening the sleeve length, and bringing the side seams in a bit more to get a more shapely top. But this certainly won’t be my last Aster, and I think its a great casual item.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s